Friday, August 3, 2018
Communications Department - Archdiocese of Miami
MIAMI | Archbishop Thomas Wenski is inviting all of South Florida’s Catholics to join him in celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Archdiocese of Miami, which was founded Oct. 7, 1958. Following is a listing of planned Diamond Jubilee Year events. This calendar will be updated as needed.
Visit of World Youth Day Cross and Icon
Wednesday, Aug. 22 (Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry)
- 8 a.m. — Pilgrimage to the peripheries: Mass with Archbishop Wenski, followed by procession and visit with the homeless, immigrants and poor at the Missionaries of Charity shelter, 724 N.W. 17 St., Miami
- 1 p.m. — Encounter with the youth: for high school students going to World Youth Day in Panama in January 2019, at Msgr. Edward Pace High School, 15600 N.W. 32 Ave., Miami
- 5:30 p.m. — Prayer for vocations: Mass with Archbishop Jose Domingo Ulloa Mendieta of Panama, seminarians and religious at St. John Vianney College Seminary, 2900 S.W. 87 Ave., Miami
- 7-10 p.m. — Vigil and concert: Worship, reflection and multicultural celebration in honor of the visit of the official World Youth Day Cross and Marian Icon to South Florida, on the grounds of St. John Vianney College Seminary.
Dress down day and 60th anniversary presentation
- Friday, Oct. 5: all archdiocesan schools (Office of Schools)
Indult Masses for the feast of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary
- Weekend of Oct. 6-7 in all parishes (Office of Worship): An Indult is a temporary or personal favor granted by the competent ecclesiastical authority for the good of his local Church. Thus bishops in the United States are permitted to grant indults for fast and feast days. In this case, in order to celebrate a Mass other than the Solemnity of the Lord's Day (in this case, the 27th Sunday in Ordinary time), a special permission is needed from the competent ecclesiastical authority (in this case Archbishop Wenski) to replace it with the archdiocesan feast day, the feast of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, Oct. 7. (Code of Canon Law, Canons 85-93)
Solemn vespers and conferral of diocesan honors
- Sunday, Oct. 7, 5 p.m. at St. Mary Cathedral, 7527 N.W. Second Ave., Miami (Office of the Archbishop)
A White Gala to Honor the White Collar
- Saturday, Oct. 20: 6 p.m., outfield of Marlins Park. Proceeds benefit Florida seminaries.Purchase tickets here. (Office of Development)
60th Anniversary Picnic
- Sunday, Oct. 28, 11 a.m.: on the grounds of Nativity Church, 5220 Johnson St., Hollywood (Office of Parish Life)
- Dec. 8-9: in all parishes (Office of Parish Life)
Thank your priest at 60th gala
How many times have you told all the clergy in your life how much they mean to you? Can you think of a priest, or group of priests, who have been a constant in your life?
You can pay tribute during the gala dinner for the archdiocese’s 60th anniversary — whose theme is A White Gala to Honor the White Collar — by purchasing a 60th anniversary tribute ad to celebrate or commemorate all the priests who have made a difference in your life.
These digital ads will be displayed on large screens and iPads throughout the dinner at Marlins Stadium. They also will be posted online in the Development Office’s Tribute Ad Gallery and sent to clergy and sponsors post-gala as a digital flipbook.
To find out more and purchase a tribute ad, go to www.adomdevelopment.org/tributeads or call Grace Veloz at 305-762-1064.