Wednesday, November 14, 2018
Florida Catholic staff - Florida Catholic
MIAMI | As part of the Black Catholic History Month celebration, the archdiocesan Office of Black Catholic Ministry will present the St. Martin de Porres Awards for Excellence at a luncheon to be held at noon Saturday, Nov. 17, at the Stadium Hotel, 21485 N.W. 27th Ave., Miami Gardens.
The 2018 honorees are:
- Jimmie Knowles, Holy Redeemer, Miami
- Lona and Jerome Matthews, St. Philip Neri, Miami Gardens
- Brenda Dawson, St. Katharine Drexel, Weston
- Roslyn Taylor, Visitation, Miami
- Vinelia Booz, St. James, North Miami
- Joseph Blaize, Christ the King, Richmond Heights
- Douglas Smalls, Blessed Sacrament, Fort Lauderdale
“They have dedicated their lives to service and to be joyful ambassadors for our faith. We celebrate their commitment to our community,” said Katrenia Reeves-Jackman, director of the Office of Black Catholic Ministry.
According to Archbishop Thomas Wenski, the annual celebration of Black Catholic History Month “is a part of a continuing effort of the Catholic Church in the United States to raise awareness and to demonstrate appreciation for the contributions of Black Catholics to the life of faith in our Church, in our nation, and in the Archdiocese of Miami.”
For ticket information, call 305-762-1120 or email email@example.com.
Click here for a related story by local historian Dorothy Jenkins Fields, Ph.D., founder of the Black Archives, History & Research Foundation of South Florida.