Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Florida Catholic staff - Florida Catholic
WASHINGTON, D.C. | Given the many challenges facing the nation, the U.S. bishops are once again urging Catholics to pray a pre-election novena, from Monday, Oct. 26 through Tuesday, Nov. 3.
Participants are encouraged to pray one Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be for each day’s intention. A closing prayer for elected leaders will be offered on day 10, Wednesday, Nov. 4.
The bishops began this electronic novena in 2016. The specific intentions for each day, as well as images that can be used to promote it, can be found here: https://www.usccb.org/2020-election-novena, and listed below.
More prayers and resources can be found at:
- https://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/prayers-and-devotions/prayers/prayers-for-the-church-and-the-world and
A Novena for Faithful Citizenship also can be found here:
Day One: Monday, October 26
- As we prepare for the national & local elections, in the midst of a global pandemic, may our political engagement be guided by our Catholic Faith.
Day Two: Tuesday, October 27
- In this month of the Holy Rosary, may Our Blessed Mother guide us in confronting racial inequalities and restoring peace in our communities.
- May all Americans recall the necessity of dialogue, civility, and humility in this election season.
- May all people understand the moral and ethical dimensions of political decisions and decide accordingly.
- May voters & elected leaders uphold the dignity of every human life in their political engagement.
- May Catholics recall all aspects of Catholic Social Teaching as they consider their votes.
- May there be a transformation of politics to focus on the dignity of the human person and the common good.
- May we keep in mind the gift of religious freedom and our duty to defend and exercise it as faithful citizens.
- Today, as we approach the polls, may we understand & embrace the principles of our Faith that should guide our political engagement.
- May the leaders elected this week be guided by the Holy Spirit as they fulfill their positions.