Tuesday, May 6, 2014
Lisa Morales - Archbishop Curley Notre Dame HS
The honorees and about 200 guests were welcomed by honorary chairwoman Swanee DiMare, a graduate of Notre Dame Academy, as well as masters of ceremony Helen Aguirre-Ferre, also a Notre Dame alumnus, and Spero Canton. Miami Archbishop Thomas Wenski was the special guest speaker.
"It was a proud moment in our school's history to hear our honorees speak about the importance of a faith-based education, academic rigor, friendship, and family ties," said Douglas Romanik, ACND's principal and alumnus. "Our commitment to faith, family, and excellence has never wavered since opening in 1953. I feel that it's these core principles that have encouraged our graduates to become outstanding leaders in our community."
The 2014 inductees are:
- Larry Wilson '58 - Inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 1973, Wilson worked for many years as a UM Coach and eventually formed Larry Wilson Contractors.
- James Kushlan '65 - A scientist and published author specializing in wetlands, waterbird biology and conservation, Kushlan serves on the boards of Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, American Ornithologists Union, Everglades Foundation, Zoological Society of Florida/ Zoo Miami, HistoryMiami, and Waterbird Conservation for the Americas.
- Camille Martone Geraldi '66 - Co-founder with her husband, Michael, of the Possible Dream Foundation (formerly Up With Down Syndrome Foundation). In addition to running the foundation and caring for her 40+ adopted children, Martone Geraldi travels around the world training both renowned medical specialists and affected families in the areas of nursing, rehabilitation and special education.
- Tom Laubenthal '68 - President of Landscape Architect Consultants Inc. and a landscape architect for over 30 years, Laubenthal has worked on notable projects including: the first modernization efforts of Miami International Airport; the first phase of construction for Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport; and the Miami Dolphins Training Facility. He also is the lead landscape architect for Nova Southeastern University.
- Mark Hurd '75 - President of Oracle Corporation and a member of the company's board of directors, before joining Oracle Hurd served as chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president of HP. Before that, he worked for 25 years at NCR Corporation, ending his tenure as the company's chief executive officer and president.
- David Gerrits '78 - President of Gerrits Construction, he is a third generation construction president with over 35 years of experience in the industry. Gerrit's history includes managing projects in 16 states domestically, in addition to South America, the Middle East, Canada, and most of the counties in Florida.
- Merrill Romanik '83 - Architect and principal of Synalovski Romanik Saye, he brings to the firm a multitude of talents and significant expertise in architecture, building construction, and interior design.
Proceeds from the gala support the school's development projects and Sponsor a Knight Scholarship Fund. To attend, contribute, or sponsor any of ACND Prep's upcoming events, visit www.acnd.net.