Parishes | Schools | Priests | Masses |
More in this section MAIN MENU

St. Monica Parish marks 60th

MIAMI GARDENS | Parishioners of St. Monica Church gathered Aug. 25 to mark the 60th anniversary of their parish.

The celebration took place just a couple of days before the feast day (Aug. 27) of their patroness, whose prayers resulted in the conversion of her son, St. Augustine. (His feast day is Aug. 28.)

The first Mass at St. Monica Parish was celebrated in May 1959 at Myrtle Grove Elementary School. By September, Sunday Masses had moved to Carol City Junior High School, and daily Masses to a tiny cottage, the “little white house” located on church property, before moving into what is now the present rectory.

Constructed and dedicated in 1961, the present church had originally been intended as a combination hall and cafeteria.

St. Monica is now home to the archdiocese’s Nigerian Apostolate as well as a large Spanish-speaking community. Masses are celebrated weekly in English, Spanish and Igbo-English.

Latest News

Breaking News

Feature News

Parish News

School News

Statements