Catholic Schools Week, Jan. 29 to Feb. 5
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Communications Department - Archdiocese of Miami
The Archdiocese of Miami is celebrating Catholic Schools Week, Jan. 29 to Feb. 5, throughout its Catholic schools in Miami-Dade and Broward. Archbishop John Favalora, Archbishop Emeritus of Miami, will start the annual celebration with a Mass at 1:15 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 30, at Archbishop Curley Notre Dame Prep.
This year’s theme is “Catholic Schools: Faith. Academics. Service” focusing on three priorities that make Catholic schools stand out from other educational institutions:
• Children are taught faith – not just the basics of Christianity, but how to have a relationship with God.
• Academics, which in Catholic schools are held to very high standards, help each child reach his or her potential.
• Service, the giving of one’s time and effort to help others, is taught both as an expression of faith and good citizenship.
The Archdiocese of Miami has 61 schools and over 34,000 students enrolled, the most in Florida. Catholic Schools Week is an annual celebration of the National Catholic Educational Association and the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
St. Michael the Archangel
300 NW 28 Avenue Miami, Florida 33125
• Monday - St. John Bosco Contest - This event will be held in the cafeteria as follows: 8:30 to 9:45 AM - Grades: 3rd, 4th, 5th / 9:45 to 10:45 AM - Grades: 6th, 7th, 8th
• Tuesday - Mike Olympics - Students may wear Jeans at no extra cost. Only Parents with Volunteer Badges are allowed to come and help the teachers.
• Wednesday - Spirit Day - Students will wear school colors - $2
• Thursday, February 2nd - All School Mass - Mass begins at 9 a.m. Following Mass, students will celebrate Grandparents’ Day and serve breakfast for Grandparents in the cafeteria.
• Friday - Teachers & Staff Appreciation Day - Spelling Bee Contest in the cafeteria as follows: 9:45 AM - Grades: 3rd, 4th, 5th at 8:30 am / Grades: 6th, 7th, 8th at 9:50 am. St. Jude Trik-A-Thon - For students from PK3 through 5th grade. Early Day Dismissal - 12:00 (PK-K) / 12:45 (1st-8th)
St. Agnes Academy
122 Harbor Drive, Key Biscayne, Florida 33149
• Monday - Parent Appreciation Day: we invite parents to a “Join Your Child at School” open house, and to attend a special Mass with their children.
• Tuesday - Teacher & Staff Appreciation Day: parents and students plan a number of special activities for the Faculty/Staff. Parents give gifts and provide a special lunch, while students make cards for their teachers, and perform in a show.
• Wednesday - Field Day for 4th to 8th graders: students show their school pride and spirit, by wearing blue & white school colors, and competing in various field activities.
• Thursday - Field Day for PK-3 to 3rd graders: students show their school pride and spirit, by wearing blue & white school colors, and competing in various field activities.
• Friday - Student Appreciation Day: this is the grand finale of Catholic Schools’ Week! Students have a no uniform day, the school rents bouncy houses/slides for the students, and the Faculty/Staff put on a special show.
Mother of Our Redeemer
8445 NW 186th Street, Miami, Florida 33015
• Monday - Morning Mass. During the afternoon Mr. Paolercio will conduct a Trivia, (questions and answers), Challenge Activity with all groups.
• Tuesday - A Tacky Tourist Day; Dress down day with “Tacky Tourist Accessories.” Mr. Paolercio will go to the classrooms to choose a winner.
• Wednesday - Twins Day. The students will find a partner to dress-up with the same costume. The palls will create a prayer to be presented in the classroom. The teacher will choose the winning prayer. The McCarthy High School Jazz Band will be performing for our students this afternoon.
• Thursday - Super Heroes Day. Teachers will create an activity using The Good Samaritan Parable. The PACE High School Band will be performing for our students this afternoon.
• Friday, February 3rd - Olympics Day; each grade will participate. They will compete in a Fun-Activities Field Day which will end with a picnic lunch.
125 West 45th Street, Hialeah, Florida 33012
• Monday - Mismatch Day / Food Drive. - Students must bring a minimum of 3 food items from the following list in order to dress for Mismatch Day: Baby Food, Evaporated Milk, Powdered Milk, Canned soups, Canned Vegetables, Canned Beans – black beans, red beans, white beans, pork & beans, Canned Spaghetti meals – ravioli, spaghetti, Canned Meats – tuna, chicken, sausages, ham, Instant mashed potatoes, Rice, Cooking Oil. Teachers should keep all food in their rooms until it is picked up later on in the day! Dress Code for Mismatch Day: No shorts, no transparent materials, no see through outfits, no open midriffs, no sandals, all dresses or skirts must be of appropriate length.
• Tuesday - Movie Day - Students in grades PK 3 thru 4th grade will be treated to a movie, popcorn and drink at 8:30 am in Mercy Hall. Students from 5th thru 8th grade will be treated to the same at 1:30PM.
• Wednesday - Mass/Poster Contest and Teacher Swap Day - Mrs. Martinez’s fifth grade class will be in charge of an all school mass at 8:30am which will be followed by our Catholic Schools Week Teacher Swap Day. All teachers and specialists will be “swapping” places with their co workers. A random drawing will be held at the Faculty meeting on Friday, January 6. Teachers should prepare an “enrichment” activity for their new class, and will be swapping immediately after mass that day. Zachary Palacios, our top gift wrap seller will also be “swapping” places with Mr. Garcia, so look out for unexpected surprises! Make sure to create a poster to help celebrate Catholic School’s Week 2012. The posters will be judged on originality, creativity, and slogans promoting Catholic Schools. Poster boards will be provided. Please place your posters outside of your classrooms by Monday, January 30th. The winning homeroom’s in each category will receive a pizza party! The categories are: PK 4-K, 1-2, 3-5, and 6-8.
• Thursday - Get Up and Move - In the spirit of health and fitness, Coach Gaby will be organizing several “Get up and move,” activities throughout the day! Time to get out of your desks….and move! Everyone will be allowed to dress down in their class shirts, jeans, and sneakers!
• Friday - Danceathon and BBQ and Early Dismissal. Students are encouraged to participate in this annual fundraiser which includes a fun filled danceathon and a delicious BBQ of burgers, hotdogs, and drinks. Those students participating in the event, will also enjoy a dress down day in their PE uniforms. A cash donation of $25 is due no later than Wednesday, February 1 with all proceeds going towards the proposed purchase and installation of our school elevator.
St. Brendan High School
2950 SW 87th Avenue, Miami, Florida 33165
• Monday - Introduction of CSW and Theme—SBN/Catholic Ministry
Famous Catholic #1-Buddy the Cake Boss
Posters of theme around school-Joe
Teacher Appreciation Raffle-Tayra
• Tuesday - Student Appreciation Day Gift---Spirit Life—Mar
Famous Catholic #2-Justin Bieber
Sophomore Catholic Ministry Visit #1-Julie/Catholic Ministry
Pure Love Club –Purity Ring Prayer Service/Miriam and Nichole
• Wednesday - Teacher Appreciation Day- Luncheon Julie/Nichole/Ana/Erik
A-Bldg. Lounge—all three lunches
Famous Catholic #3-David Beckham
• Thursday - School Mass- Deacon/Julie/Erik/Catholic Ministry
Banner of Theme for Mass-Carlos
• Friday - Famous Catholic #4-Nicole Kidman
5200 Johnson Street, Hollywood, Florida 33021
• Monday - Field Day: Grades 6-8. Thank You Cards to Nativity’s Staff, Priests and Rectory: Grades Pre-K -5 Students may write or draw thank you cards for all our staff, priests and rectory personnel. Pre-K and Kindergarten: Create banners -“What I Love about Nativity”-Hang banners around the school.
• Tuesday - Field Day: Grades 1-5. Mini-Field Day Activities: Grades Pre-K - Kindergarten . Thank You Cards to Nativity’s Staff: Grades 6-8
• Wednesday - National Appreciation Day for Catholic Schools. Creative Writing Contest: Grades 1-8 Students write an essay. Possible suggestions: My positive experiences at Nativity School; What a Catholic School Means to Me; and Catholic Schools: Faith. Academics. Service. Top essay from each class is sent to the office. Cap & Sneaker Day- Students and teachers may wear sneakers and their favorite caps.
• Thursday - Volunteer Breakfast sponsored by the Student Council. Blue & Gold Accessory Day- Students may wear blue and gold accessories and P.E. uniform to school.
• Friday - First Friday Mass at 8:30 AM. Thank You Cards to Parents - Students may write or draw thank you cards to parents for sending them to Nativity Catholic School.
3340 West Oakland Park Blvd. Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33311
• Monday - Open House from 8 to 11 am
• Tuesday - 5th through 8th grades will be attending the Museum of Art showing of “Offering of Angels” donated through the Amaturo Foundation
• Wednesday - Service Day- Theme of Faith, Academics, and Service.
• Thursday - Grandparent’s Day
• Friday - Green and White Day
Archbishop Curley Notre-Dame
4949 NE 2nd Avenue, Miami, Florida 33137
• Monday - “Catholic School Week Mass” with Archbishop John Favalora at 1:15 p.m. Students, their families, school faculty and administration, alumni and the community are invited to attend.
• Thursday - “Orange and White Day” - A day of unity for the freshman class organized and run by upper class students.
• Friday - “Annual International Day” - Archbishop Curley Notre Dame Prep’s Modern Language Department and Parent Council will host the school’s “Annual International Day” showcasing the foods and traditions of many nations. The assembly will feature the music and dance of various ethnic groups
1301 SW 136th Avenue, Davie, Florida 33325
• Monday - DONATE - school supplies will be donated to schools within the Archdiocese of Miami that are in need. Detailed lists of needed items per grade will be sent out in backpacks. -HATS FOR HELPING - students may wear school appropriate hats to show their commitment to helping and servicing those in need. DOOR DÉCOR - classrooms will decorate their doors in a Catholic Schools' Week theme. 2nd GRADE 1ST RECONCILIATION - 7pm in the church
• Tuesday - SPECIAL ASSEMBLY DAY - guest speaker to be announced. CRAZY SOCK DAY - students may wear "crazy socks" to show their school spirit!
• Wednesday - MESSAGES OF HOPE - as part of "service" to others and sharing our faith, students will be sending greeting cards to the students in need and sending them their own message of hope. TREAT DAY - Students will receive a special treat at lunch.
• Thursday - 7:45-8:15 PK3, 4 AND K - Grandparents and special persons are invited to the classrooms (registration begins at 7:30) followed by a light continental breakfast in the Parish Center.
9:00 - SCHOOL MASS - All are invited to attend.
10:30 - 11:15 Grades 1 - 8 Visit classrooms and Hospitality Room.
10:30 - 12:00 Grades 1 - 8 Enjoy lunch with student(s).
All grandparents and special persons are invited to have lunch with their student(s) during the student's scheduled lunch period in the Bonadome or in the cafeteria. Pre-order lunches will be available for the grandparents and special persons.
• Friday - WEAR YOUR FAITH DAY - In observance of National Appreciation Day for Catholic Schools, students may wear appropriate religious shirts and jewelry along with blue jeans (no bare midriffs or shoulders). This is your chance to show your creativity! Make or purchase your own religious themed shirt! NEWCOMB GAME (1:30 - 2:30 PM) 5th grade students will play a friendly game of Newcomb against teachers and staff. Please join us!
Sts. Peter and Paul
1435 SW 12th Avenue, Miami, Florida 33129
• Monday - Faith, Academics and Service in a community of believers. Students will be encouraged to write letters to their parents thanking them for the opportunity to attend a Catholic School. On behalf of Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic School, we extend our appreciation to those parents whose sacrifice and help make possible the educational process of our school. We salute all of those individuals in our community who unify our community of believers. Open House -- 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
• Tuesday - Faith, Academics and Service in a proof-driven world. Catholic education is the single most effective way to transmit our faith to the succeeding generations. That is something to celebrate. Catholic Schools, as part of the parish, play a major role in keeping the Catholic faith alive in this world. We thank our Pastor, Fr. Juan M. Lopez, Fr. Juan Luis Sanchez and Fr. Biain. Catholic Schools Week Mass at 8:35 a.m. (Gr. 1-8)
• Wednesday - Faith, Academics and Service in every student. Teachers will let their students know how much they, the teachers, appreciate them, the students. We want our students to share in the limelight. We want to let them know that we believe in them, in their varied talents and in their abilities to achieve.
• Thursday - Faith, Academics and Service in the life of our faculty and staff. Catholic Schools Week recognizes our teachers, whose dedication, enthusiasm and innovations truly give Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic School, a reason to celebrate. We encourage our students to honor their teachers.
• Friday - Faith, Academics and Service in our Nation. National Appreciation Day focuses the entire country's attention on our educational network and its benefit to society.
3751 SW 39th Street, West Hollywood, Florida 33023
• Monday - Teacher Appreciation Day - Teachers will enjoy a special breakfast sponsored by the Home and School Association.
• Tuesday - Parent Appreciation Day - 7:45am - Coffee and breakfast treats provided in the cafeteria, accompanied by a musical performance by the school band. 8:30am -9:30am - Parents will be invited to visit their children’s classrooms. Each class will have a special activity planned during this time.
• Wednesday - Catholic Schools Week Mass at 8:15am - The theme of the mass is “Catholic Schools Faith. Academics. Service.” Students in Grade 7 will participate in a special presentation that focuses on these three priorities and how they set Catholic schools apart from other educational institutions.
• Thursday - Student Service Project Day - Each class will participate in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s 2011-2012 Pennies Campaign. The goal is to help students learn the value of service. Students will achieve their goal by donating and collecting pennies or spare change to benefit the Southern Florida Chapter of LLS.
• Friday - Student Appreciation Day - Students will participate in a special Catholic Schools Week Field Day Celebration from 8:30am-10:30am. Activities will include an all school assembly, indoor and outdoor games, and a cookout lunch sponsored by Annunciation’s Athletic Association.
Mother of Christ
14141 SW 26th Street, Miami, Florida 33175
• Monday, January 30th students of all ages enjoy Character Day. The little ones come dressed up as their dream characters, and the older students enjoy wearing their favorite character t-shirts. On this day, the Day of the Priest, students prepare special cards of appreciation to our Pastor and Vicar.
• Tuesday, January 31st we will be cheering for our favorite teams as students come in their favorite sports t-shirt and team colors. This is the Day of the Student, and we will have visits Career presentations from parents and visits from the Metro-Date police and fire department. In the evening Father Angulo will host a special Mass blessing the grandparents of our school and thanking them for their involvement.
• Wednesday, February 1st, our PK4 students through 1st grade will come all dressed up to have breakfast with their grandparents and will have a special surprise for them. Second grade through 9th grade will feel like sleeping in as they enjoy Pajama Day.
• Thursday, February 2nd we will enjoy the most exciting day of of the year with plenty of fun as we all share in our Field Day.
• Friday, February 3rd teachers will enjoy a lunch in their honor and each class will have a special surprise for each teacher.
All Saints Village
10900 West Oakland Park Blvd., Sunrise, Florida 33351
• Monday - School parents and interested parents may tour the school anytime during the day to witness the students and teachers in action! Please check in at the school office and we will escort parents to the rooms. Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m.
• Tuesday - Grandparents Appreciation Day. Brunch in the cafeteria from 7:30 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. Children’s program in the church at 9:00 a.m. Following the program, grandparents may tour the school with their grandchildren until 11:30 a.m.
• Wednesday - Student Appreciation Day; Fun day for the children hosted by the Student Council.
• Thursday - arent Appreciation Day; Brunch for parents from 7:30 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. in the cafeteria. Children’s program in the church at 9:00 a.m.
• Friday- First Friday Mass at 10:00 a.m.