Tuesday, September 5, 2017
Communications Department - Archdiocese of Miami
MIAMI | Below is a list of archdiocesan events that have been postponed or canceled due to Hurricane Irma. This list will be continually updated. Organizers of events should email firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us about cancellations or postponements.
Sept. 19 update:
The Catholic Psychotherapy Association's national conference, set to take place Sept. 21-23 in Fort Lauderdale, has been canceled. Some members are asking if they can still fly into Miami and engage in community service and disaster relief. Anyone interested in these services should contact Dr. Carlos Gomez, email@example.com.
Catholic Hospice's "Swinging for Charity" golf tournament, set for Oct. 6 and benefiting their Veteran's Program, has been rescheduled. The new date is Friday, Dec. 1, at the same location, Shula's Senator Course in Miami Lakes. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sept. 16 update:
Due to the scale of damage and power loss throughout the Archdiocese, please be advised that next week’s Priest Convocation has been canceled. Next year's Priest Convocation date: Sept. 18, 19, and 20, 2018.
St. Thomas University will remain closed through Friday, Sept. 15, and resume classes and normal operations Monday, Sept. 18. Administrators are hoping that power will be restored Sept. 13 so that residential students can begin returning to campus at noon Thursday, Sept. 14.
Archdiocesan schools update
The Archdiocese of Miami announces the majority of its schools will be open Monday, Sept. 18.
The following schools will re-open Tuesday, Sept. 19:
- Archbishop Coleman Carroll
- Archbishop McCarthy
- St. Gregory
- St. Hugh
- St. John Neumann
- St. Mark
- Sts. Peter and Paul
- St. James
- St. Michael
- Blessed Trinity
Archbishop Edward McCarthy High School: Administration of the ACT, set for Sept. 9, was canceled. The rescheduled test date will be posted at www.actstudent.org as soon as it is set. Registered examinees will receive official notification from ACT.
Belen Jesuit, Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart, Christopher Columbus High and Chaminade-Madonna, all Catholic schools run by religious communities independently of the archdiocese, will set their re-opening dates independently. Check their websites for information.
Immaculata-La Salle Retreat Center (Youth Center), Miami - closed until further notice
- St. Andrew Parish Coral Springs, reopens, Wednesday, Sept. 13. The parish will proceed with the visit of the pilgrim statue of Our Lady of Fatima, arriving at 4 p.m., and followed by a bilingual Mass at 7 p.m.
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Charity (La Ermita), reopens, Friday, Sept. 15 at noon. Mass of the Divine Mercy to be celebrated at 3 p.m.
- San Pedro, Tavernier, reopens, Saturday, Sept. 16, for regularly scheduled Masses.
- San Pablo, Marathon, to celebrate Sunday Mass at 11 a.m. (only Mass)
Memorial Masses at Catholic Cemeteries:
- Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery, Saturday, Sept. 16, canceled
- Our Lady Queen of Heaven Cemetery, Saturday, Sept. 16, canceled
School of Ministry/Escuela de Ministerios update
- Classes at St. John the Apostle, Hialeah, scheduled to begin Sept. 16, are cancelled until further notice.
- Classes at St. Brendan High School, Miami, scheduled to begin Sept. 19, are cancelled until further notice.
- Classes at St. Andrew, Coral Springs, will begin as scheduled Sept. 20, at the school, room #220.
- Classes at St. Bartholomew, Miramar, will begin as scheduled Sept. 21 at the school.
Formed.org Conference/Parish Missionary Disciples Session set for Thursday, Sept. 14, at St. Thomas University, canceled. Make up session information will be emailed to participants.
Respect Life Ministry "Living in the Light of Truth Seminar" set for Saturday, Sept. 16, at St. Augustine Parish in Coral Gables, canceled. Event will be postponed for a later date, to be announced via the website.
- Fall Regional Youth Ministry Gathering-North Broward, Wednesday, Sept. 6, 7 p.m., canceled. Will be rescheduled.
- Youth Ministry Orientation, Saturday, Sept. 9, canceled. Will be rescheduled.
- World Youth Day leader meeting set for Sept. 12, canceled. Will be rescheduled.
- Catholic Scout training at Camp Choee in southwestern Miami-Dade County, set for Saturday, Sept. 23: Canceled.
Virtus training sessions
- At Epiphany, South Miami, Saturday, Sept. 9, rescheduled for Saturday, Sept. 23, 9 a.m.
- At St. Andrew, Coral Springs, Thursday, Sept. 7, rescheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 26, 6 p.m.
Priest Luncheon Marriage Prep-
- At Our Lady of Guadalupe, Thursday, Sept. 7, canceled. Event will be rescheduled at a later date.
Celebration of the feast of Our Lady of Charity, set for Friday, Sept. 8, postponed until a later date, to be announced.
St. John Bosco Clinic Silver Jubilee Gala, Saturday, Sept. 9, 7 p.m., postponed until a later date. Those who have purchased tickets will be notified — and the event listing on the archdiocesan website will be updated — when a new date is secured.